14 March 2014

Random Observations

So: this week I was planning on putting up another flash fiction piece written for Chuck Wendig’s weekly challenge. however, the story I was working on just grew like Topsy, and now has turned unexpectedly into a full-fledged short story in its own right, which I plan to develop and submit for publication somewheres.

As such, unfortunately, this leaves me devoid of content for the blog--a not altogether uncommon occurrence around here, as my longtime readers know. So I’m just gonna blather for a few minutes and then we can all get on with our lives. ;)

Random Observation #1: Today is Pi day, which we are using as an excuse to eat pie. Suppose we can have a Pie Day where we give our kids a solid grounding in mathematics?

What I’m Reading: Lately I’m reading Patrick Ness, notably The Knife of Never Letting Go and A Monster Calls. Profoundly good books, both. Ness does some character work in these that I am exceedingly jealous of, especially as regards how adults treat children. Also just recently finished Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer, which is stuck in my head like the business end of an axe (in a good way) and which I really need to read again, and then write about. It’s one of those books. Also somewhere in the TBR pile is Brandon Sanderson’s Words of Radiance. And a million other things.

Random Observation #2: My daughter turns three on Tuesday (post to come). When she’s 3.14 do we get to have pie?

What I’m Watching: Not much in terms of TV shows. We have a five year old and a soon-to-be three year old, and most of the crap that’s on TV is either too intense or too mature (or both) for their age, so we have to be picky-choosy. We were watching Person of Interest for a good while before we had to stop, as my daughter is still up when it’s on (you have to slowly walk back a toddler’s bed time, trust me, you can not just stick them in bed and hope they stay there) and the last thing we need is for her to see Violent Jesus knocking the crap out of everyone while Amy Acker chews an enormous amount of scenery (in the most charming and awesome way possible, but even so). Also, I’m kind of pissed that they “fridged” the best damn character on the show this season (SPOILER ALERT), and haven’t really wanted to watch it since. So we have a Roku now, and we watch a lot of cartoons on Netflix & Amazon Prime. My daughter’s favorite is Jackie Chan Adventures, which is full of intensely scary demons and massive amounts of kung-fu violence and. . .hm. Maybe I should just give up.

Random Observation #3: If Pi is an endless sequence of numbers that never repeat themselves, how come when I eat blueberry pie it always repeats on me?

What I’m Listening To: I was listening to music on my Windows phone (which I plan to review at some point) because it has Beats Audio and I’ve been meaning to try that out. (Short version: it’s pretty damn good.) But the phone only had 7 gigs or so of available memory and while that’s a lot, I like a little more variety than I was getting. So I’m back to my 34 gig iPod, which has tons of stuff on it. I could use some new bands to listen to though--if you have a suggestion for me, please drop it in the comments below.

Random Observation #4: If Fruit Pie the Magician hooked up with Mrs. Wagner, what would the kids look like? (Yes, I’m old. So fuckin’’ what.)

What’s Next: Lunch. Then snacks. Then the crunching of words.

Random Observation #5: If you combined Pi Day with Talk like a Pirate Day, what would the costumes look like.

...and that’s it. I have to go listen to some actual music. I’ve had “Baker Street” by Gerry Rafferty stuck in my head for the last three days, and it’s driving me insane. And now it’s probably doing the same to you.

You’re welcome.

Remain in light, gang. Catch y’all next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment